Thursday, December 1, 2011

Shakespeare Letter

Another one of my English assignments where I had to write something (I am sure you can see why it is my favorite class). We are learning about Shakespear and the Globe Theatre, and had to write a letter as if we went back in time to Shakespearean times and are writting to someone from the Modern day world. I decided to write to a fictional character (Nerdy I know) who is my favorite character in my favorite book Series. (City Of Bones By Cassandra Clare. These books were reccommended to me by my Aunt Becky Barlow, and they are going to make the movies this upcomming year. *Squeal*) Anyways, this was my letter to Jace Wayland/Herondale/Morgenstein/Lightwood/everything else.


Dear Jace Herondale,

I beseech you to listen to the tale of my wonderful escapade through time. Do you remember how I am very much in Love with the Shakespearean time period? How I use to constantly read his plays and wish I were a part of them? Well I have wonderful news for you! I have traveled back to the year 1602 in a place called Southwark. Isn’t that just amazing? At first I didn’t have a clue where I was, as I found myself in a closet filled with costumes of vibrant color and brilliant fabric. It was a small closet, not at all spacious, with a wooden door directly in front of me.

Upon leaving the trifling closet, I opened the wooden door and stumbled out, directly into a large man who had been standing in front of the door. He turned, angered by the sudden collision and yelled “Watch it” loudly at me. I squeaked a small apology and regarded his attire. He was dressed in a filthy short and pants with an apron splattered in fake blood, which hardly fit around the great mass of his body. In his right hand he held a huge knife and in the other, a fake pig carcass. I scrunched my nose and asked what he was, quite frightful of angering his further with that knife at the ready. The strange man straightened and proudly told me his name was Horace, and he was playing the butcher in the new Shakespeare play. He went on to tell me about the Globe Theatre I had very fortunately landed directly in the middle of. Think of the embarrassment I experienced when he asked who I played in the show, gazing at my modern day jeans and t-shirt. I finally told his a came from a faraway place, and that my people dress differently than his. I quickly left him with very little final words, and exited through the door to my right.

Luckily it led outside and into the more populated areas of the theatre. I then made my way to a seat next to a young woman holding a small lad, trying to ignore the strange looks I was receiving from the crowd around me. The woman in the seat next to me was dressed in a casual worn blue frock and she had her brown hair pulled in a messy knot behind her head. Her young boy was head to toe covered in dirt, probably from playing around with the other boys running through the place. Atop his head lay a black beret than looked like it was taken from the movie “Marry Poppins” from the chimney sweeps. His mother wrapped her arms around the boy to steady his squirmy form. The lad seemed to want to be a part of the pit, where there was a horde of people standing, waiting for the show to begin. “Hush now” she told him, restraining him from jumping up “You’ll see him just fine from here”. The boy, distraught, replied “But I want to see papa preform from closer”. The woman finally got him settled back into his seat and reassured him he would see his father just as well from his seat. As soon as the lad was settled, he sprung back up, alerted by the man who had just waltzed on stage.

I recognized him immediately, Shakespeare himself. I felt my heart seemingly beat out of my chest, and there was a tremor in my hands. He wore a maroon shirt, patterned with small golden swirls. The sleeves on his shirt were puffed out to the size of water melons and his pants were also a golden color. Such a silly thing to wear, I thought, trying not to chortle at his oversized sleeves, completely baffled with the thought it was actually him! He threw his hand in the air and announced the play that we were to see, and paraded off the stage like he was king of the world. The moment his foot touched the bottom step, the play begun in a whirl of colors and music.

The whole thing was flawless and wonderfully entertaining. There was nothing like it, and I could never imagine anything back at home to speak to me the way this place does. I tell you this, Jace, because I have met many new people, and love the land, culture, and arts so much. I can finally be a part in Shakespeare’s history and will be able to watch as he creates those plays I adore so greatly. I regret to inform you that I have resolved to stay. I will keep writing and I hope you will reciprocate these letters back to me. I am sorry to say that you will not see me again, but do not worry; I am finally where I belong. Please take care of yourself and do not be ill with me. I wish you the very best, and hope you find as much happiness in your life as I have.

Yours Forever,
Megan Young

No comments:

Post a Comment