Thursday, December 1, 2011

Catching Zzzzzzs

This year I was persuaded by my family that I should join the journalism class in my high school. I was reluctant at first, and sure dragged my feet about it. My logic was that I didn't want to write about new, I wanted to write about fiction. I was both right and wrong. I was put into the Editorials section on the newspaper, meaning I am able to write about anything I want. Luckily that means I do not have to write about news :P I have to give credits to my parents for pushing me to join journalism because I really love it so far. I will be posting my articles on this sight if you wish to read them. Thank You!


Catching Zzzzzzs
By: Megan Young

How many times have you sat in class and thought Oh I’ll just rest my eyes, and next thing you know, there is an angry teacher standing above you and the only thing you remember about the past hour is the dream you had? This is most likely an effect of insomnia, or sleep deprivation, causing you to feel drowsy and sluggish during the day.

Symptoms of sleep deprivation include having trouble falling asleep, tossing and turning, waiting to fall asleep for long periods of time, and being unable to get things done during the daytime. It may also limit your ability to learn, listen, concentrate and solve problems. You may even forget important information like names, numbers, your homework or a date with a special person in your life. Lack of sleep may even cause overeating or weight gain, because you're more likely to have midnight binges.

You may not know it, but your body is constantly active, even when you are asleep. As you drift off into unconsciousness, your body goes to work, repairing damages caused by stress, recharging your brain, allowing you to grow, and even balancing your bodily chemicals. Every part of the body is affected - the brain, nervous and immune systems, heart, lungs – and the list goes on.

Many high school students need an alarm clock or a parent to wake them on school days. They are like zombies getting ready for school, and find it hard to be alert and pay attention in class. This could possibly affect your grades and awareness during class. Everyone needs different amounts of sleep, depending on their age. Teenagers need about eight to ten hours to function properly. Even people who claim they need no sleep at all will take the occasional five to ten minute naps during the day. Believe it or not, a person can take a cat nap with their eyes open. Unless under direct medical supervision, they may be unaware they are sleeping.

Experts say one of the most alluring distractions from sleep is the Internet. There is also stress, depression, anxiety, lack of regular exercise, and chemical stimulants such as caffeine. These distractions could lead to side effects which could be harmful, or even life threatening. If you do not get the correct amount of sleep, your immune system will weaken, causing you to be more prone to illnesses. A survey conducted by the American Cancer Society concluded that people who sleep for less than six hours, or those who sleep for more than nine hours, had a death rate approximately 30 percent higher than those who regularly slept seven to eight hours. Sleep deprivation is even more fatal than hunger; it takes two weeks to starve, but only ten days without sleep can kill you.

Tired drivers are more dangerous than drunk drivers. For example, a driver who has been awake for seventeen hours performs similarly to a driver with a blood alcohol content of 0.08%. There are over 100,000 car accidents a year that are caused by the driver either falling asleep at the wheel, or being too tired to react quickly or have full concentration on the road.

There are many things you are able to do to prevent sleep deprivation. You can establish a set time to go to bed and wake up. A regular sleep schedule will help you feel less tired during the day, as your body adjusts to its natural patterns. Do not eat, drink, or exercise within a few hours of your bedtime. Reduce the amount of time you spend on the computer or in front of the television on weekdays. Most importantly, do not procrastinate on your homework until the last minute and stay up to finish it. This is one of the main reasons high school students do not get enough sleep.

As you can see, sleep deprivation and its effects are a very common and serious problem. I advise you to take these suggestions to heart and remember to manage your time to include the healthy amount of sleep into your night.

No comments:

Post a Comment