Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Forbidden

My class was given the assignment to write an alternate ending to the famous Shakespeare play "Romeo and Juliet."



“Juliet is dead” one of my servants told me. My hearts stopped cold and my breath stopped. “What?” I asked, still not comprehending completely. “They don’t know why but she was found dead in her room this morning.” He finally said, he had brown hair about down to his chin and his eyes held sadness. What? Juliet’s dead? I didn’t take any time to talk, to say my thanks, I just started running, to nothing, seeing nothing. I didn’t know where I was going until I saw my dark brown horse. Without breaking stride, I jumped on my horse and headed in the direction my beloved Juliet lay, dead, in a stone cold tomb. I rode my horse on a dirt road and pushed him as hard as I could. Faster, faster! I thought, as if somehow she would be alive if I got there fast enough. As I rode, my mind spun. She can’t be dead, she just can’t! How would she have died anyways? Did she just break under the stress of me being gone? Is her death on my hands then? Is it my fault she lays in a tomb now? I couldn’t stand the thought of me killing my dear Juliet, even if not on purpose. A small town came into view. Was I there already? I had thought this through if she really was dead, I wasn’t going to live without her. 

I stopped on the road where a merchant had set up all sorts of bottles. I dismounted my horse and called “anyone here?” A small man popped his head out from a curtain and said “yes may I help you?” I looked over the man for only a short time, he was very old and stood with a hunch, he had a gray beard growing from his chin, and no hair on his head. “Yes” I replied “I need a poison” I said really calmly. The merchant pointed to a bottle on the table and I quickly took it. “That will be one hundred sir” he said. I ripped the money out of my pocket and handed it to him. I mounted my horse once again and rode off without a word.  I didn’t take any time or need to stop anywhere else, I rode straight to the graveyard. There it was, a huge tomb with statues and candles everywhere. I can’t believe it. It’s true. She is dead. I walked towards the tomb, my knees were shaking, but my love kept me going. 

When I reached the huge door that led to the tomb, it was locked. I wasn’t about to let a locked door come between us. I looked around and found a huge rock and threw it at the door with all my strength. The large wooded door crumpled under the force of the rock. I ran inside, the tomb was very light because there were so many candles. I waited for the dust to settle and took a good look around, I felt my heart being ripped to shreds when my eyes rested on my Juliet, lying in the middle of the room, completely still.  

I ran to her side, tears streaming down my cheeks, breathing in gasps. I touched the bottle that was tucked away carefully in my pocket. How could this have happened? Just yesterday I was the happiest person alive, now I’m about to take my life away. For Juliet. I thought. For Juliet. I reached up and touched the tip of my fingers against her soft lips. “Goodbye Juliet” I whispered. “I'll see you soon.” I took the bottle out of my pocket and took off the cap. For Juliet. I thought. This was the only way I would ever go through with it. I shut my eyes tight and lifted the bottle to my lips. For Juliet. For Juliet. For Juliet. For Juliet. “Romeo?” I heard a voice I recognized. I’m imagining it. I thought and squeezed my eyes shut tighter. For Juliet. I chanted one last time. “Romeo!” I hear another scream. I was amazed how clear my imagination was, how it sounded like Juliet was actually in the tomb with me, her tomb. I tipped the bottle the slightest bit, and before and liquid hit my waiting tongue, a soft, warm hand took mine and the bottle disappeared from my hand. 

I opened my eyes, and there she was, standing in front of me, with wet eyes and cheeks to match, her dress was green and hair was flowing over her shoulders, and she was holding the small bottle that was , just a second ago, my way to be with her. Now, she was with me, without the cost of my life “Juliet?” I whispered in confusion. She nodded her head. Joy overtook me, I picked her up and kissed her with more passion I thought was possible. No words were needed. So we ran to the horse and ran so we could life our lives together. Forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment