Thursday, October 7, 2010

Living Nightmare

This is my very first public piece of writing. Obviously this story has no resemblance to my life at all. My goal in writing is to make my readers feel something for the character, and the best way to do that I have learned is to write about very strong emotional situations. I hope you like it and will comment on it. Constructive Criticism is greatly appreciated and helpful. Thanks for reading and supporting me.
Enjoy :)


You know that horrid feeling you get when you are having a nighmare? The one where you know there is danger all around you, and no matter how loud you scream or how fast you run, you can never escape. Imagine that, but not only does it occur at night, but during the day also, living in constant fear your pursuer will overtake you. You can scream until your throat blisters and no sound passes through your lips, but no one will ever come. Everything is completely numb, only being able to feel pressure and slight tingles, but all in all your senses are dead to all of mankind. Lastly, you must imagine all of this emotion and misery, contained deep in one body, being held inside a trapped soul. My name is Eveline Hill, and that soul resides inside of me. Six agonizing years I have been living in my own personal hell, being burned alive, never dying but feeling the pain, seeing the anguish, never able to turn away or close my eyes. Each scar contained a story, each hiding a secret that was locked away behind an iron door, never to be let out. My only safe haven is the small crawl space that led to the attic, the one place horror could not seek me out. Where I could lock out reality and engulf myself in a fairy tale land, if only for an hour, long enough to dull the throbbing torture. Currently, my state of being drove me to that very place now, to vanish from the growing despair that inhabited the rest of the shabby house. Tears welled in my eyes, spilling over the rims and soaking my cheeks. The only light filling the room was from a nearby window, allowing a tiny ray of burning sunshine to brighten the space. I grazed my fingertips across the rough wooden frame, wishing with everything in me that I could just disappear into thin air, like the steam dissolving from a boiling pot of water, never to be heard of again.
The stomping footsteps a floor below echoed through my mind, eliminating any peace that I was storing inside for a time of desperation. The thudding came to a halt somewhere below me and the clang of shattering glass was eminent. "EVELINE!" his yell was surly loud enough to pass through walls. More tears spilled at the knowledge of what was about to happen to me. Reality came crashing down on my heavy weighted shoulders as I stood on shaky knees to meet my fate. Each step down the stairs was like a death march, every inch of my body cringes in pain from the simple movement, but I knew I had to keep going or the consequences could be dire. Reaching the doorway that was only big enough for a small child to pass through. I filled my lungs with the dusty air around me, noting the tug in my aching ribs as I did so. Crawling through, I was greeted by a hand grasping me off the floor and onto my unsteady feet. I stood before the vile man whose grip was entirely too stong on my bony shoulders. With one encouraging breath, I looked at the face of the man who created my personal hell, I gazed straight into the eyes of the Devil.

17 comments:

  1. Gosh, you write very well! I do hope you achieve your goal of what you want to be! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That's great Megan, you are a good writer, keep the stories coming!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is incredible!! Keep writing. You're really talented! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all so much for your comments. It is so exciting that you like it. i will keep updating as much as i can :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, It sent shivers up my spine. This is the one that you wrote last night?

    I want more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. yes i wrote this last night. it probably took about an hour.. more or less :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Who is your main character? is she a child? an adult? I want to know more of the story! who is this devil? just a man, or something more sinister? keep it up Meg - I'm enthralled.

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow megan! This is so good! Im so proud of you! Im so reading your other story ASAP!! Love you =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. eveline, eveline, your insides must be tied up like knots, how can you stand yourself>><>>>>>maybe end up part of the walking dead if she is not careful>>>>is there a prince charming in this story to come to rescue her or will she just remain abnormal and shunned by normal people

    ReplyDelete
  10. aww okay okay answers must be shared. The main character is Eveline and she is about 16 or 17 years old. her father is the implied "Devil" and the reasons being are mildly implied and foreshadowed. otherwise you may use your imagination. :) i dont not know the extent of this story yet because it was a sper of the moment writing for my first blog story. if you have any more questions or comments please fill free to post. Thank you for your encouragement. :) i will try and post often
    love Y'all <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, Meg! I don't think I can wait for the rest of the story. You have got to get writing more!! This is so exciting because you could go anywhere with this story... You are very good at describing the situation and feelings, and it is very well written. The reader can really feel what the character is feeling and the setting is very clear. This is a good hook to get readers to want more. You most definately have me hooked alright. I liked the description of the nightmare and the sentence "Everything is completely numb, only being able to feel pressure and slight tingles, but all in all your senses are dead." It's very well written. I totally love it!
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you so much becky! i didnt really plan to write more to this one but everyone is telling me that i need to. so i guess i have to get on that :) i really love how specific you are with your comments, it gives me a better idea on what i need more of or need to work on. thank you for reading it! love you beckyy <3

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your story is so fascinating! I really like the way you describe things. Keeps the reader on the edge of their seat. Great work! Keep up the writing. I am a very proud grandma right now.
    Love ya loads, grandma Barlow

    ReplyDelete
  14. awww thank you so much grandma! I am exstatic you like it so much. You readers are the opinions i think i can learn from the most because you know what it is supposed to sound like and what makes good books so great. And the fact that you are proud of me makes me so happy, it motivates me even more to do well. If you have any suggestions I would be honnored to take anything you have to offer.
    Thank you so much for your support.
    I Love You So Much Grandma <3

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow you are a amazing writer..I wish I could write like that lol see you in AFM

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's so creepy, and by creepy I mean awesome!! I want to know more. Keep going!

    Elizabeth, your mom's cousin

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank You!
    I asked my mom who you were before and she said "She's my cousin! she is sooo funny!" so i'll take her word for it :P
    I am glad you enjoy them and will be updating soon.

    ReplyDelete